The DMX512.com Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Signal Amplifiers/wiring enquiry  (Read 5391 times)

LightingSolutions

Signal Amplifiers/wiring enquiry
« on: November 28, 2011, 01:42:07 AM »

Hi  :)

I have a project at work which is in the final stages and almost ready to start installing, which consists of about 400 dmx fittings all being fed from 1 universe, and to do so there is a dedicated signal feed which has 20 DMX amplifiers along it (which in turn each feed 20 fittings) and is about 700m long.

The enquiry that i have is that each input of the amplifiers are terminated (120 ohm resistor) and am wondering if this is going to cause me any issues?

The reason they have the termination is because originaly the design was to have the dmx signal feed one amplifier then that amplifier feed the next and so on, but the design was changed for better reliability after the amplifiers were made.

So basically im just concerned that i am going to loose the signal down the line because of the termination resistors, is this going to be an issue? As I will need to start making new amplifiers asap if need be, but im hoping that it will be ok

Any info is appreciated

Thanks

DMX512

• Global Moderator
Re: Signal Amplifiers/wiring enquiry
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:25:50 AM »

The termination is correct, so you'll have no problem.

The DMX512 line is electrically an RS-485 bus, which is supposed to be terminated at both ends.