The DMX512.com Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: DMX applications to LED's and processing programing language (Arduino)  (Read 10835 times)

Flannel

Hey everybody!  I'm just a newcomer who has some questions, and would like some advice or any other suggestions from you seasoned dmx veterans out there!!!

I'm trying to experiment with different designs of LED configurations in grid like patterns and structures.  I don't want to only plug and play, I want create, innovate and create new programs for LED display boards. 

Here is what I have been using as of lately.  I have been using the "processing" programming language and arduino boards on some small scale LED applications.  But I'd like to go bigger and bolder with LED panels, and other hardware.

So I am wondering what combination of platforms are the best for experimentation or further development.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your creative input.

Also is this Wikipedia sentence accurate? 
"Consequently, it is strongly discouraged[who?]  for use in safety-critical applications such as controlling pyrotechnics or laser lighting displays, where audience or performer safety is at risk."

DMX512

• Global Moderator

So I am wondering what combination of platforms are the best for experimentation or further development.

I'm quite taken with the Propellor chip, and the work that this mob have done to build biggish LED projects using modest technology.

Also is this Wikipedia sentence accurate? 
"Consequently, it is strongly discouraged[who?]  for use in safety-critical applications such as controlling pyrotechnics or laser lighting displays, where audience or performer safety is at risk."
Absolutely.  DMX512 has no error checking or correction on the protocol, so it can and does get corrupted.  Most desks update at something like 40 times per second, so having the wrong data values for 1/40th of a second isn't a big deal for a light (even a mover) but if that erroneous data means "fire the pyros" then bad data for 1/40th of a second is enough.

So the general rule is that Dmx512 on its own is not sufficiently safe for anything where there are safety of life issues, so pyros, flame projectors, moving set pieces etc.

Note I said "on its own": There is a happy medium using traditional "dead man's handle" technique.  Using this arrangement there is a manual button that has to be held down by an operator with full view of and responsibility for the dangerous thing, say firing pyro.  The pyro is electrically interlocked with the deadmans switch, so it cant go off unless the operator is actually holding the button.  So DMX512 says "fire the pyro now", and the deadmans button says "yes, it is safe to do so".

With this arrangement even if there is a mistiming through corruption, the actual authority to fire is vested in a person, not a system or a protocol.

I don't know of any lasers that are directly controlled by DMX512; its simply far too slow.  Generally the laser is programmed using its own control system, which includes such features as audience scan prevention, and then DMX is used to select which preprogrammed look the laser system will generate.