The DMX512.com Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Home automation with KNX and DMX for light control  (Read 14068 times)

Raginglynx

Home automation with KNX and DMX for light control
« on: February 27, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »

I plan for building a house and want to automate it using KNX. Thing is, I want to have lots and lots of led lighting in the house. Downlights in most rooms, but also tv-lights on the side of the tv's, rgd led lighting for the trees in the garden and so on. I will try to use led wherever I can accept the light temperature and light power of it. I also want to be able to dim everything

Someone suggested that I use DMX for this. I don't know anything about it yet, but I've seen there are lots of modules with many channels for led dimming. Can anyone help me in taking out a good system for my use

I will use lightswitches connected to KNX and then a gateway between DMX and KNX. The computer control will be through LinuxMCE.

What type of LED downlights do you suggest? Watts, type and distance in between? I would like it to have a color temperature of 3000 or less if it's possible.

The areas I want downlights in are: Living room (tiltable close to the walls for lighting up the walls - lower effect maybe, or?), Master bedroom (also a row that is tiltable for the wardrobes here), Kitchen (Both in ceiling and under the overhead-dressers), in a clothes closet, and in bathrooms..

Is this anything to consider?

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/368870913-DMX-Module-decoder-for-Led-light-DC12V-input-MAX-output-current-12A-wholesalers.html

I will try to have a central installation if it's possible. Are there any rack mountable big modules with lots of led dimmers that is affordable per channel? Or is it not worth it compared to this 4 channel modules I've found:

http://cgi.ebay.de/DMX-512-Dimmer-Controller-4-Channels-for-LED-Light-Lamp-/160550908895?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item25619473df

I'm grateful for any help I can get :)

rgds,
Christian

What module/s do you suggest

DMX512

• Global Moderator
Re: Home automation with KNX and DMX for light control
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:34:12 AM »

I've seen both the controllers you mentioned used by the Christmas light guys, but I think you need something with more channels, look at the DMX-32 from Celestial Electronics.  (Theres also lots of LED lighting links here)

I dont have any real suggestions as to what fixtures to use, other than to note that stage lighting LED products are now getting to the point where they can do decent whites, and whites have always been an issue for LEDs, and I think your comment about colour temperature indicates you're onto this particular issue.  Problem is that decent stage lighting LED products are expensive.