The DMX512.com Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Really new to DMX  (Read 8234 times)

pconzone

Really new to DMX
« on: November 10, 2010, 02:57:41 AM »

Hey, so I run lighting at my school and I need to figure out how to change the gels in the color scrollers we have. I was told I need a DMX512, which I think I found one hooked up. It looks like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dmx_repeater.jpg . There are no buttons/sliders/or anything really on the thing we have, but the cable runs into the light board. We have an ETC Express 24/48. So, what I'm getting at is, how do I change the gels in the scrollers with the equipment that I have?

DMX512

• Global Moderator
Re: Really new to DMX
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 02:09:54 AM »

DMX driven scrollers, which most are, respond to DMX channel levels, and the position of the scroll changes with the channel level.

The scrollers themselves will probably have a four pin XLR connector on them, which gets connected through four pin XLR cables to the scroller power supply, which has a mains inlet, XLR4s to plug the scrollers into , and a DMX input connector, and probably an output conector too.  You need to connect things up so you have power to the power supply unit, DMX flowing through the scroller PSU, and the scrollers connected to the power supply.

On each scroller will be a dip switch which configures which DMX channel, its probably set in binary, if thats foreign to you, asjk a computer nerd to set it to a channel number.

Then, raise the fader on the lighting desk for the channel you've configured, and your scroller should move.

That should get you going.